Thursday, February 14, 2013

7 Years Ago - Rip Dilla


Time to pay tribute to a Hip-Hop Legend. J Dilla, James Dewitt Yancey, passed away 7 years ago on February 10th. He passed away 3 days after releasing the critically acclaimed instrumental hip-hop album Donuts. Whereas This Will Destroy You got me into ambient music, J Dilla revived my love for music in general. How so many simple samples create such beauty is awe inspiring.

Yancey made the album in a hospital bed before he passed away. Artists I would enjoy after listening to J Dilla who have different styles became so much more enjoyable because of the knowledge I believed I gained from J Dilla. Artists such as Killer Mike, POS, El-P, and Atmosphere are among the many that were the next step for my music development J Dilla paved the way for.

It is a shame I cannot find a YouTube full album for Donuts, but this album is worth the purchase. Below are a few of my favourite songs on the album.


I mean we’ve heard the phrase going out on top. J Dilla did.

Download - Donuts

J Dilla - Last.fm - Website - MySpace - Facebook



1 comment:

  1. this was awesome when I saw this post! good job Geoff.

    ReplyDelete