Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Go-To Album: Young Mountain by This Will Destroy You


A specific band, song or artist can signify a change in their music taste. In my case it comes at a specific time. Around 2008 a friend of mine introduced me to This Will Destroy You.

I expected something loud and abrasive; instead This Will Destroy You’s Young Mountain is calm and I felt the embrace of the music. The band’s sound creates an ambiance of constant contemplation, an eternal reflection.

But always calm.

As a student I always used This Will Destroy You as my go-to exam-studying band. Specific moments of each song allowed me to retain specific information that when I would play the album on the way to school, I would actually remember much of the educational content. 

Certain riffs and drumming patterns allowed me to easily remember my studying material.  I did use TWDY more as an essay-studying band than a short answer, multiple-choice types. Sometimes the sounds allowed me to explore abstract thoughts, thoughts beneficial for a university exam essay.  The album's finale can work as your essays conclusion, to the point and effective. It was always a game of fitting my conclusion into the last part of the album.

Below I have found and posted This Will Destroy You album Young Mountain.

Track listing

1 - Quiet - 0:04
2 - The World is Our _______ - 4:56
3 - I Believe in Your Victory - 12:04
4 - Grandfather Clock - 18:38
5 - Happiness: We're All in it Together - 21:20
6 - There are some Remedies worse than the disease - 29:53




Video Credit: mikeprdct22


Download Young Mountain

This Will Destroy You - Last.fm -- Facebook -- Tumblr -- Myspace

1 comment:

  1. This is great! A new band for me! Music while I do homework is essential. I usually turn to Ludovico Einaudi or a Hans Zimmer soundtrack, but now I have something else to add to my list :)

    ReplyDelete